Beyond the Best Seller

Saturday, September 09, 2006

BIG WEEK AT THE LIBRARY!!!

Wow! We kicked off our Fall Authors on Stage series and Jed Rubenfeld was great. His book The Interpretation of Murder is intriquing. Just the setting, New York in 1909 draws the reader in and his story keeps you reading. People have been signing up for Tuesday morning, September 12th at 10:00 am when Philippa Gregory will join us -- she's a delight. Last year she converted dozens to become Historical Fiction readers. It's really going to be a week like we've never had before. An author a day, from Tuesday through Friday. And books, books, books. Mary-Ann Tirone Smith, one of Connecticut's own will be sharing not only her life but her moving story about the death of a classmate during her childhood in Hartford on Wednesday, September 13th at 12:00 noon and our generous Friends of the Library will be providing lunch. But since, I don't want to repeat myself and I do want to chat about books, our Reader's Choice Discussion group which will be held on a Wednesday (usually the last) each month at 7:30 pm in the Library will begin with The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards on September 27th. Since I am leading the discussion, I would love to hear your comments.

Reading has always been a comfort and a joy to me but lately I've found excitement in listening to audiobooks. This way, I have a book that I'm reading and a book that I'm listening to -- twice the fun and it definitely makes driving in traffic a pleasure. I've been known to sit in my garage just to finish either a tape or cd.

It's tough work going Beyond the Best Seller. Or as the title of Sara Nelson's memoir reminds us, So Many Books, So Little Time. Read her book and you will finish with a list of books you absolutely need to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home